So yesterday was Easter, in case you are in a coma and didn't know this fact. I had the most unique ( I will get to that in a minute) pleasure of playing the violin in the band at a different church. I also got to spend the lovely evening with my family and took a well deserved break from homework and such.
So this church. It's like super huge. And everyone there is VERY obsessed with appearances. The band members have strict dress codes and wear the the same thing to every rehearsal like its a show (which I guess it is to them). The band also has to wear these earbuds that have a metronome in it and a creepy voice that cues when to start the songs so that they stay within the same time. Also, we had two 3 hour rehearsals and "performed" 4 times yesterday. Let me just say, that I do not agree with this at all. Church and worship are not to be so obsessed over that you lose sight of its purpose. The purpose of worship is to please God. We are created to worship and worship doesn't come from playing every single note perfect and looking like a rockstar. It comes from your heart and your soul. At one point in rehearsal, the singers were told to "go all out worship-mode this time, cause the cameras are rolling". THIS IS NOT WORSHIP!!! Worship isn't a mode you can just click in an out of. It's supposed to be how we conduct ourselves all the time, always giving glory to God. I have a HUGE problem with this. I agree that practice is a vital part of being in such an ensemble, I mean college praiseband at Broadway practices. We do it so that we can lead others in worship in a way that isn't distracting by playing wrong notes and not being together. Also, we try to wear jeans, just so that our clothing isn't distracting either. I'm telling you, the worship that we had last Wednesday night at Broadway, FAR surpasses any of the rehearsals or "shows" at said church . It just doesn't seem genuine when you are constantly worrying about being with "the click" or how you look when the cameras are on, or if the stupid smoke is going to get in your eyes. It just isn't right. Another thing I just can't explain is the people. I never really feel welcome there. It's like everyone is so wrapped up in how they look, and impressing other people, or bragging about what's going on in their lives that they don't see the people who are there. They seem upitty and superficial. They are very surface-oriented people. Even their prayers show this. When they pray, everyone starts praying outloud together. Some of them cry. Seriously. Like loud, too. The message I got was, look at me, listen to my prayer, I'm more holy than the rest of this church. I hated it. I despised it. The message was shallow at best, too. It grazed the surface of the gospel, but didn't go deep. It is really sad to see the way the Word is preached there. It's watered down, put into terms that don't portray it correctly, and instead of an invitation after being presented with the gospel, the preacher talks for 15 minutes during the alter call, as if to guilt trip you into making a decision that he didn't even cleary explain. The thing I learned about this experience is how in love with my church I am.
WOW! Broadway is so amazing. The gospel is preached accurately and passionately by the most humble yet righteous men of God I have ever seen. The worship is wholesome and honest. The people loving and accepting. I couldn't imagine a better place to call my church home. I never want to take for granted the place that God has brought me to. I grew up Methodist and about two years ago started going to Broadway. Who knew (besides God) that I would become Baptist?! I have learned so much.
So today was a great day to begin my week. My first class was cancelled, tomorrow's lab was cancelled, Thursday's lab was cancelled, stupid SDCO rehearsal was cancelled and my allergies didn't even bother me that much today!!! And how gorgeous was it?!?! I enjoyed a nice lunch at Lucy's while I studied and I think I did pretty good on that test! I hope your day was as good as mine!! And if you are looking for a church, please, please PLEASE come to Broadway!! You will NOT regret it!
3 comments:
Brianna,
I have SO much to talk to you about!! Seriously. And it all greatly relates to the subject of this blog.
Great blog by the way! The way that our generation is sacrificing the gospel for cultural relevance is insane.
Karasyn! I haven't seen you in ages! (ok, it's been like six days, but it feels like eternity!) Anyway, we should hang soon and discuss things. I completely agree! It's so sad churches that are not teaching God's word cause it's not "cool" or "hip".
Wow! I can't believe there worship and service was like that, sounds crazy! Church is much more than al of that!
Post a Comment