background

1.2.12

My random and somewhat conflicting feelings on DGB

For starters, how exciting for Hillcrest to have such a desired football player?! I think it's really cool. Honestly. BUT! Yes, there is always a but. But, I have huge issues with sports being so hyped up.

So I just have to get this out.

1. Hillcrest is kind of known for not being great at anything. I guess maybe except for media. They're pretty smokin'! So I think it is really good for the school to be getting attention over DGB and giving the school a reason to have some school pride, BUT on the flip side, the school really isn't getting this. It's only DGB. I think it is so crazy for one person to get so much publicity. And here's the next point....

2. OVER SPORTS!!! Ok, I understand that sports are like the American past time and a huge source of entertainment, but I have a hard time thinking that sports are a talent. It's athletic ability and it's one of those things that you are pretty much born with. I mean, yeah, athletes train and stuff, but it's just too ridiculous that you should get a full ride scholarship for being able to run fast and catch things. I like to compare this to music. Many people are born with the ability to play music well, others practice hours upon hours a day to become good, but let me tell you from experience, no one. I mean NO ONE gets that much hype over being a prodigy at music (Please note, that I am NOT, by any means claiming to be a prodigy). Anywho, it goes that way for scholarships too. The most anyone at my school gets for music is $3,000. Yeah, thats a lot, but no where NEAR a ful ride. Actually it's only about 15% of tuition. And you only get that much if you are like really stinking good. So I guess you could say that I am a bit bitter, or biased on this.

3. Let me also tell you this. People aren't born smart. Ok, I take that back. Some people are. I have yet to meet one, but I have heard that Einstein was pretty intelligent. Anyway, the majority of people who do well in school........get this, it will amaze you..... WORK FOR IT! You know, study and work hard to do well. These are the people in the world who become doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, AKA the people who affect your everyday life. Why don't we give these people recognition? I mean, I'm sure your dentist has had a direct effect on your health, not stupid football players. These poor people who work so hard and do so much for you are not recognized at all, because all the airtime is spent on athletes and movie stars. I guess you could say I'm bitter on this subject as well, because (and bear with me while I toot my own horn) I graduated 4th in my class, I was concert "mistress" in orchestra, I was in band, in FBLA among other things, and my senior year, I wasn't even selected as a student of the month. I recall actually a couple of people who were, aren't even in college. Wow, Hillcrest. You really know how to make a person feel like their hard work is for something. It's really great to be recognized for it. Nope. You're too busy televising the decision of a football player.

So I realize this has been a pretty negative and ranty post, but to end on a lighter note;

I am very happy for DGB. He chose a great school, close to home so he could be close to his family. If you didn't know, his little brother has cancer. Anyway, I am just as much a fan as anyone else. I've been to the games (which are extremely entertaining), I have kept up with his decisions and this will probably be the start of me watching college football, because yes, I think it's kinda cool that I went to school with a prospective NFL player. I just hope that he puts his fame and money to good use. So I guess in conclusion, DGB, I wish you good luck in your future, but Hillcrest, I hope you can live up to your name now that he's gone. Maybe you could invest some more in those hard working students.

If you read that whole thing, you should comment and leave me your thoughts. I mean, come one, you've already wasted this much time. ;)

2 comments:

Brookely90 said...

Whenever the football team went to Arkansas just for people to watch him play they paid for a bus for the football team(obviously) and the spirit squads. But you know who they weren't going to pay for? The band. The contract they signed said the band had to come though. They were basically making the band go but not paying for their bus because we could "pay for it ourselves" Mr.Knupps didn't let that happen. Just because our booster program is the best at the school does not mean that we need to pay for an extra charter bus that is not in our budget let alone a game that we didn't really want to go to.

Karasyn said...

I have to say that I totally agree with you on this whole thing. While I am happy that Dorial is getting a chance to have a fantastic life, I think that the pedestal that he is being put on is ridiculous! College is supposed to be about academics, not "running fast and catching things!"

BUT on a brighter note, I have some possibly AMAZING news about disney world!!!